You are staying at:
24 Long Street, Canterbury, Kent, KE4 5GT
My Welcome Book
Welcome to Garden Manor
We have designed this pack to help you get the most out of your visit to Garden Manor. Please let us have your suggestions to help future guests enjoy this very special area.
You will find a hard copy of this guide at Garden Manor in case you prefer a good read, Sue.
Owners: Sue Greens
Landline: 01234 567890
Mobile: 07777 123456
Arrival and Departures
Post code for your Sat Nav is _____. Please note this is not always reliable so please also use the map and directions to be safe. If in doubt ring Sue.
From London, travelling east on the M2:
Exit at Junction 7 onto the A2, direction Canterbury. Travel for around 15 Miles, passing Canterbury, Bridge and the first Barham turning and then exit at Junction for A260/B2046, signpost Wingham/Folkestone….
The nearest train stations are Canterbury East and Canterbury West. You will need to take public transport or, much easier, a taxi…..
Please remember to bring the Hot Tub and sauna disclaimers.
Sue or her representative will meet you at the house. Please telephone 30 minutes ahead of arrival on the numbers above and try to stick to your agreed arrival time. It will not be possible to arrive early unless agreed in advance. Please also telephone if running late.
Your home for your stay is: Garden Manor, 24 Long Street, Canterbury, Kent, KE4 5GT
Keys to The View
When you are met at the house you will be provided with 2 sets of keys. Please keep these safe and leave on the hall table when you leave.
Departure: 10.00am or 12 noon as arranged.
Checklist for departure
- Put all towels, bathmats and bathrobes on the hall floor
- Take all drinking glasses to kitchen and place in dishwasher along with any last minute crockery. cutlery. Please leave the dishwasher running.
- Please turn off all lights, fans and close all bedroom windows
- Please ensure that all cushions and blankets are returned to their homes
- Please try to put all kitchen crockery etc. back in its original home
- Please remember to lock the doors and windows. This includes the back door and all patio doors.
- Please remove all cigarette butts from outside and place on a plastic bag in the black bin.
- Please ensure that all outside furniture is left where you found it and that cushions are put away.
Importantly, please ensure that your rubbish has been recycled correctly as follows:
You will find bins in the kitchen order cupboard that correspond to the outside bins. The bins are labelled:
- Hard plastic, bottles & cans
- Paper and card
When these are full, please empty into the outside mine as follows:
- Purple top bin HARD plastic, bottles and cans
- Paper and card: Please leave in black sacks
- Completely green bin: everything else
It is extremely important that you do this otherwise our cleaners will need to spend time sifting through the rubbish to separate it and you will be charged for this.
You want to have a wonderful break and we want that for you too. We believe that when you are here this is your home for however long you are staying and that you will be relaxed, comfortable and happy. We do ask you to be respectful to your surroundings and we have a zero tolerance policy on noise outside at night especially. If you need to contact us during your stay, please find details below. Enjoy!
Your home from home
We have sought to equip Garden Manor to a high standard and to anticipate your needs by providing all the things you might want for a great stay. Hair dryers and towels are provided as standard and a washing machine and tumble dryer are available so that you don’t have to worry about luggage restrictions.
- Please refrain from playing loud music in the garden after 10.00pm so not to disturb the neighbour.
- Please note this is non-smoking property and we kindly ask you not to smoke in the property. If you do smoke outside could you please collect and throw away the cigarette butts when you leave.
- Please do not invite any additional guests back to the accommodation without prior discussion.
- Please take good care of the property and leave it in a clean and tidy condition at the end of your stay.
- We may retain an amount from your security deposit if there is a lot of additional cleaning to be done. Please do not use blu- tak or sellotape on the walls as this can damage the paintwork.
Please do not move the furniture.
The kitchen is well equipped.
- Dishwasher – After stacking select the required programme and close the door firmly. It should then automatically start. There are dishwasher tablets/rinse aid in the large drawer to the left of the sink.
- 2 x double ovens – Turn the oven on as shown and adjust temperature on the 2nd dial.
- 6 burner gas hob
- Extractor fan. This should be set to automatic but please manually tun it on if it isn’t.
- Microwave – Select the programme you require, adjust the time and press ‘start’.
- 2 fridge freezers
- There is a ‘kettle’ tap (photo) with safety feature. to left hand side lever operated the kettle function. Push down and pull towards you to release boiling water. It can sometime stick a little so please ensure that it has fully turned off. The leaver to the right is the usual hot/cold combination.
- 4 slice toaster
- large selection of pots, pans, serving dishes, crockery, cutlery and utensils.
- Walk in lader: As we use the house sometimes for ourselves it has a basic food stock here. Please feel free to use anything but note on the blackboard if you finish anything so that we can replace.
- Hidden drawers: The deep sets of drawers to the left of the sink and the other deep set under the island, have slim hidden drawers inside for cutlery and utensils. PHOTO
In the kitchen we provide kitchen roll, foil, clingfilm, bin bags, washing up liquid, dishwasher tablets, dishwasher cloths/sponges, tea towels, salt/pepper & other commonly used herbs/spices, some basic food stock such as cereals, flower, tins, etc so please help yourself to this.
Granite work tops: Please treat these with respect and do not place hot pans and baking trays directly on it. You will find metal stands for this purpose in the big drawers to the left on the sink.
There is a 55″ flat screen TV with full SKY Q package. If you watch anything with an ‘over 18’ designation you will require a PIN which is 1955. Please do not change this. This video will explain the remote:
There are large sliding patio doors the dining area, sitting area and 1 of the ground floor bedrooms. These are operated by LIFTING both handles, gently pushing out and away and then sliding open. Please be gentle with them. If you smoke outside, please close the door behind you so that the smoke does not drift into the house.
There is a selection of board games in the TV unit.
There are two large 4 seater sofas in the sitting area and an extra two seats are the bean-bag type and can be found in the hall if you need the extra seating.
There is a dimmer switch that operates the lights over the table.
There are table mats that we would ask you to use at ALL times to prolong the life of the table. The mats are in the left hand cupboard facing the table. You will find a large selection of glasses here too. Please be careful with the glasses and report any breakages so that we can replace them.
There are 10 matching dining chairs. 8 are at the table and a further 2 can be found in the downstairs bedrooms. There are a further 2 wooden dining chairs that can also be used and they are located in the 1st floor bedrooms. If you are more than 12 then you will need to use the outside chairs. Please ensure that they are dry and clean and that there is no grit on the feet so as not to damage the floor.
All beds will be made up for your arrival and towels/bathrobes and hotel style toiletries are also provided. 2 toilet rolls/loo are also provided. You will also find glasses and bottled water next to the beds.
1 ensuite has a bath with hand held shower for hair washing, loo and basin and 2 en suites have a shower, loo and basin. The family bathroom has a bath, hand held shower for hair washing, loo and basin and there is a ground floor loo as well.
Utility Room and Downstairs WC
There is a ground floor utility room. As there are cleaning products etc here please keep this locked if you have children.
There is a washing machine and tumble dryer. We supply washing powder. The dryer is a condenser so you will need to empty the water from the unit located top left. You will also need to keep it free of fluff if you use it a lot! There is also a drying rack.
You will also find cleaning materials, hoover and mop here.
The main gate is electronic. (photo)
We do not provide the remote controls as these are easily lost. In order to open and close the gate you will need to use the main control key which is located in the store cupboard just outside the dining room. Turn this to 3 o’clock to open and 12 o’clock to close. You are welcome to leave it open for convenience but you may want to close it if you have children or dogs.
If you have children we advise that you take the following precautions:
- keep the utility room locked as there are potential hazards there (cleaning products and the like)
- keep the swimming pool doors locked at all times and ensure that both sets of keys are kept in the key safe at all times.
- there are cleaning products under the sink so we suggest you move these
- keep the front gate closed
- keep the side gate locked
- At the front of the house there is an area of patio/grass and a short bank below this. At the bottom of the bank are shrubs/hedges and a farm fence to keep sheep out. We have installed a fence where the patio meets the top of the bank but have kept this minimal so as not to interrupt the amazing views. Please be aware that this amore of a barrier/reminder than completely child proof.
Mobile phone reception is poor at the house. The best places to make/receive calls are outside, towards the front gate, up by the outbuilding or in the upstairs bedrooms. Some providers are better than others. O2 isn’t great and Vodafone appears better. For this reason we provide a landline. Please use only when really necessary. We have provided an honesty box for its use and the number is 01303 840822.
The main hub is situated in the outside store room located just outside the dining room door. The key to this is hanging in the utility room. Please keep this door locked. There is a booster box located in the kitchen. Please do not unplug this or you will lose signal.
The wifi at THE VIEW is SKY. There are 2 different ones to connect to. The main one is SKY
Username: SKYF8A00 Password: RTXCNYMLVF
TP-LINK_309E10 password: 16818002 This tends to serve the side of the house nearest to the pool.
Located in the dining room & kitchen.
Sonos is a great little music speaker/system that allows you to play music from your phone. You just need to download the SONOS app and connect your phone and ensure you are connected to wifi. Follow the instructions to ‘group’ the kitchen and living room.
We have a desktop iMac for your use ad a accompanying printer. This situated in an ‘office’ area on the landing upstairs. Please do to allow children to play on it unsupervised. Just sign in as a guest.
Wood Burner and Central Heating
These can be tricky if you are not familiar with wood burners. There are full instructions at the house but if you do not feel able please ask Jill or Peter to demonstrate and leave it running for you.
Here is a video to help:
The View has underfloor heating throughout the ground floor. Each room has it’s own thermostat that looks like this. (photo) Please turn these stats down at night to conserve energy.
Local things to see & do
We recommend to make the map full screen to get the best experience.